Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Sweet Thing.






Dear L,

I really must apologize because we keep blogging about the same things... I mean, the experiences might be similar but the thoughts about them are different. I kind of like that. I hope you don't mind. If you do, you can kick my right shin the next time you see me... I may or may not cry.

Last night, I slept over at my friends' house. Lauren and Amelia are probably my favorite elementary/middle schoolers in the world. I know what you mean when you say you can learn a lot from kids. An evening with them was a breath of fresh air into my lazy summer life.

I had dinner with their mom, who is a dear friend of mine, and we had a very sweet time together. After that, we went to the mall with the girls and walked around. Now, I'm not really one for shopping or even hanging out at the mall. The longest I can stay in the mall without getting antsy is probably 15 minutes, maybe 25 minutes if I eat at the food court. But, that changes when you're with two girls who want to look at all the poofy, glittery dresses and run around Bath & Body Works spraying and sniffing everything they can get their hands on. I don't think I've ever had that much fun at the mall - and I didn't even buy anything! Seriously, who needs money...

While we were at the mall, we also got to visit the pet store and play with puppies! This pet store is awesome because you can sign up to play with the puppies who are waiting to be taken home. We played with probably about 5 puppies, most of whom were jumpy and nippy and would not stop biting my shoelaces. There was one puppy, though, a cock-a-poo, who was so docile and so fluffy... I was so tempted to call my mom and say, "I think I found Bella." (NOTE: My parents want to get a dog and we've already named her Bella... even though we haven't gotten the actual dog. Weird. I know.)

Lauren and her mom drove home together since they had to pick something up on the way, so Amelia rode with me. On our way back to the house, she said, "Let's write a song!" One of our favorite things to do when I babysit or hang out with the girls is to write songs. She took a pen and paper from my purse and started writing the lyrics:

The sweet thing now
The sweet thing now
You think you've got it down
The sweet thing now

Have a cookie
Have some ice cream
Have a doughnut
Have a sweet thing


Uninhibited. Completely. Anything and everything is possible.

When we got home, she, Lauren, and I worked on adding some music. They added a "rap break" where Lauren freestyled about sweets, a "dance time," and chose to end the song with some ballet. After practicing a couple of times, we filmed it and then they had to get ready for bed.

Before bedtime, Amelia showed me her awesome Silly Bands (what a crazy fad... I love it, haha) and then Lauren asked me to braid her hair. So, we're sitting on her bed, I'm french braiding her beautiful, long brown hair and she proceeds to tell me about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and how she started to read it and loved it. "I love detail," she said and I could not help but be amazed at her ability to eloquently describe the book. I wondered, "How in the world did I get through AP Literature?" I started to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and threw it across the room because I got frustrated reading it. Man.

Later that night when the girls were in bed, their mom and I had another sweet late night talk. Those are my favorite. At one point, she said something that made me take flight on the inside. She said, "I don't know what it is, but my girls just let loose when they're around you. They do things with you that they never imagine doing..."

That. That right there is IT. And I know I can say the same, even more, about them.

So, yes, I know what you mean when you say we can learn a lot from kids :]

I loved your latest blog. I think I've loved all of them and I will love the ones to come. Just to warn you. Addie seems like such an awesome 10 year old (your pictures are ADORBS...)! And I know it'll take time, this whole "fooling people" bit, but I believe you'll be able to move past that and just be. Be. I can say that because I am at that same place... I feel like I am JUST learning to open up, to not "fool" people, but willing to be a "fool" in a sense. The "wear your heart on your sleeve" thing. I've been listening a lot to a song in which the lyrics go, "The fool will find he may not be a fool in a different life, if you shed a different light..." Hmm. Something to think about :]

I. LOVE. YOUR. GLASSES. You look so cute! I say that in the most platonic way possible.

I feel like my blogs are getting longer and longer. Oh well. I guess I just feel like I've got something to say... HA! Man. Okay, I'll stop now.

Can't wait to hear from you!
Love,
G Love

P.S. One of my friends is going to teach me how to ride a unicycle! GAHH! I'm so excited.

1 comment: