Sunday, June 6, 2010

You may come in June, you may never come at all, but I'll keep singing this song, righting my wrongs, keep walking along...

June Fifth. One of the most epic days in history. Well, in my history, at least :]

I started my day off early. The time-I-usually-go-to-bed type of early. But, I didn't mind at all because that day was the day my beautiful friend, Jen, was finally getting married! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy weddings and I have been so happy to attend my relatives' weddings. They're always so much fun and I'm so happy for my family members when they get married. But, for some reason, Jen and Dave's story sticks out to me. It is one of incredible patience, faithfulness, and hope. I don't think words are enough to describe the struggle, the pain, and the joy of this story.



I met Jen when I was in high school. She just started working for the church and immediately I was drawn to her. She was this beautiful young woman, in her mid-20s at the time, who loved God, loved people, and loved music. I consider her one of my "mentors" in this life, someone I look up to, and who I have been able to share my struggles with. Jen was always so patient with me and was always willing to listen, no matter how major or trivial my problems were (I know a lot of other young women would say the same about her). She's kind, humble, but most of all, real. She shared with me and other girls about her struggles in being single and her desires to be married. I am only 20, and already, my desires to get married grow stronger and stronger each day. Hormones? Maybe. But even though Jen longed to get married, she waited.



But she didn't just wait. She prayed. Hard. She used the time to invest in others, like myself. I know it was difficult for her heart, but she continued to love and love well, free from bitterness. Everyone else, we didn't understand - here was this beautiful woman who knew Love, but where was the man, the best friend whom she longed to spend the rest of her life with?



After many years, their paths finally crossed. Dave was a match for her. We all saw it. Like her, he loved God, loved people, and loved music. Humble, kind, faithful. They had to overcome many obstacles, but it finally happened and their paths merged. I was ECSTATIC (that's an understatement) and honored to witness their marriage yesterday. The bridesmaids walked down the aisle to a song that Jen wrote before she met Dave:

I've been on this road for a while
Waiting for a glimpse of your smile
Coming around the bend
What a sight for sore eyes to win

Until that day, I'll keep singing this song
I'll open my arms, keep righting my wrongs
You may come in June, you may never come at all
I'll keep singing this song, keep righting my wrongs, keep walking along

Walking alone is hard to do
God's love and grace will get me through
And if He chooses to
I'd really like to walk next to you.


Then, Jen walked down the aisle to a song that Dave wrote for her when he proposed. Talk about snot! I had a lot because I was crying so much, and I don't usually cry. They have impacted others and changed the world individually and now they get to do it together. That is truly awesome.

That was something else special about this wedding. SO many people - family and friends - worked together to make this wedding happen. I really took notice of the couples who were already married who helped out. Matt and Kim were the wedding photographers. Mark and Rose spoke at and coordinated the ceremony. Man. Marriage. It can be a beautiful thing. Marrying your best friend. Sharing in this life together. Impacting people. Loving. I can wait, but at the same time, I can't. Maybe a better word is "will." I will wait.

Lucky for me, the day didn't end there. My friends and I headed to Clear for Takeoff's CD Release party at Recher Theatre. Our good friend Mike is the bassist in the band. We joked about showing up in our wedding attire, but we ended up changing in a garage parking lot instead. I've never done that before. It was.. liberating? I mean. I don't plan on doing it often. But yeah. HAHA.





Clear for Takeoff is definitely a band worth checking out. I heard some of their stuff before last night and I really liked it. However, I was extremely impressed when I heard/saw them live. It's really disappointing when bands or musicians don't play as well live, but these guys are the complete package. Very likable onstage, open, not arrogant at all. The band was very tight and the harmonies were spot on. They have two lead singers in the band, each of whom write the songs. I really liked that.



CLEAR FOR TAKEOFF MYSPACE


Overall, an enjoyable night minus some dude who was hitting on me during the show... UGH. Geeze. I never know what to do in those kinds of situations. I mean, they don't happen often, but when they do, they are always extremely awkward and weird. Luckily, I had some of my guy friends willing to help me out to keep him at bay. Seriously though. Don't touch me if you don't know me. Don't brag about writing music with the band that's currently playing. Don't keep looking at me while I'm trying to enjoy the music. Not. Cool.

ANYWHO, your blog about the city... I can really relate to hating/loving the place. Crowds of people, smelly streets, no place to breathe BUT at the same time crowds of souls, busy streets, infinite places to explore... It's true, who knows what is to come, but I could TOTALLY see you living in the city. At least for a little while. If you do, can I sleep on your couch?? :]

Your pictures with Stephen... SO. awesome. Hehe. Aww, I miss you guys. A lot! I was surprised - he actually smiled for that one! HAHA.

Well, my relatives are over for the next two weeks and I'm uber excited. Cousins are always so much fun. Especially ones you haven't met before.

I'm trying to convince my parents to buy me a unicycle... it is ADDICTING. I can get on it and fall off of it with ease! Now, I just have to learn to ride it without having slip out from under me.

Well, I'll talk to you soon Larson! I miss you and making music with you <3

Love,
G Love

P.S. That lyric was from a song called "Good Question" written by this awesome artist named Tommy Butler. You should definitely check him out :]

No comments:

Post a Comment