Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm running to the edge of my life.




Dear L,

I LOVED your last post. A lot. So much that I went and climbed a mountain today :]

My friends and I took a trip to Sugarloaf Mountain. I've lived here 20 years and I've never stepped foot on it. But today, that changed.

We took a nice drive through the countryside with the windows rolled down and the music blaring. When we got there, we drove up a little ways, parked, and set out on our adventure. Let me tell you, I realized a lot of things today. And one of them was that I am out of shape... hahaha.

We hiked up the Green Trail to the highest point of the mountain with a couple of backpacks and a guitar. I haven't felt that alive in a long time. The sun was beating down on us, my blood was pumping through all my veins, I was breathing in the fresh mountain air. We got to the very top and hung out there for a while. Played a little bit of guitar and just took in the view. Trees. Land. For miles. We even shared our fears. Just said them out loud. To each other. To the mountain and the things beyond it. Man.

At one point, Courtney and Mike ventured out to some rocks nearby. After a few minutes, they called us over and said, "You might want to bring your camera."

Now, when people ask me if I'm afraid of heights, I usually answer, "No," but I think now that I'm lying. Because I was scared to climb the rocks, to sit on the edge of the cliff. All the terrible scenarios of slipping and falling just flooded my brain. But Brooke said, "Come on. You can do it." Courtney helped point out which rocks I could step on. At one point, I was clinging to this boulder. It was the funniest thing. My legs were too short to reach one of the rocks, so I had to readjust. It's amazing how an obstacle is no longer an obstacle when you change your position, your attitude. I finally made it and the view was breathtaking. It was some good times with good people.

After our adventure, I dropped off my friends and took the long way home. The one question that kept racing through my brain was, "What am I afraid of?" and the answers that kept racing through my brain were, "I'm afraid to want. I'm afraid of what I want."

And that's where I'm left. Where I'm lost. But I think it's a good place to be lost, don't you think?

You said in your last post that you hate dwelling. You climbing that mountain, proving yourself wrong, seems like a good step away from dwelling :]

Things are happening, Hannah. In us and all around us. Can you see it? I'm so glad we get to share this with each other.

Can't wait to hear your next adventure. How's sitting on babies going?

Sincerely,
G Love

P.S. I was sitting in the kitchen writing this blog when my dad just comes up to me and says randomly, "You and the right guy will meet at the right place at the right time." What?! Where did that come from? I wish I could tell you. Haha. OH FATHER...

1 comment: