Saturday, June 11, 2011

the art of the mix CD

Right now, I am in the middle of making a mix CD for a friend. It's been a while since I've done this, and I realize that I've forgotten why I love making mix CDs for people that I love.

It's an art form, really. You put each song on the CD for a reason, whether it's a special song between you and that person, or because it is a song you know they haven't heard before and you know they'd like it. You also have to make sure that the songs are in the right order, that it flows. It's kind of like a story - you have to make sure to start with something catchy, and then the intensity of emotions comes in waves as the plot goes on. The last track is extremely important - it kind of sums up the whole thing.

Something that I usually like to do is write little comments next to each track on the list of songs. It makes it so much more special when the person takes the time to do this, that he or she took the time to think it through.

i.e. "11. Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky - I think this is what a sunrise sounds like."

I once had a close friend who would do this with every mix CD he gave me and it was so special for me. He and I are strangers now, and it makes me kind of sad when I listen to the CDs every now and then.

I hope one of my songs will end up on someone's mix CD someday. That would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment