Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The fight to remember.

Hey L,

So, about this rug... I'll be honest... I LOVE IT. Psychedelic is good! Hahaha. This will be a nice rug to fall asleep on when the sun is shining through our window and we want to skip class. We should vacuum it often though. Because of the hair and dust bunnies and stuff. (It took me several tries to spell the word 'vacuum.' What an awkward word!)

Anywho, your entry - so much of it was not what I wanted to hear, but it was what I needed to hear, for sure. So much of my summer has been spent feeling the opposite. I haven't been feeling like God wants to use me, for many reasons. And I guess I haven't been feeling that I even want God to use me. I know a big part of me fears what He is going to ask of me, once I offer everything that I have and everything that I am. How quickly and easily I have forgotten the love, pain, joy, and growth I experience though when He does use me and others to share love with each other!

Humans are funny creatures. We often live in the past and the future, but rarely in the present. Or maybe that's just me. My friend told me that humans are the only species that actively ignore their own kind. Humans can so easily forget the good things in this life and dwell on the bad. Maybe these statements aren't entirely true, but these are things that I've observed and thought about.



The last part about forgetting... I am plagued with it. I forgot how and what God has shown me in this life. He showed me what true beauty was when I went to Africa, where there were no mirrors and I didn't have to deal with make-up and I spent my days with beautiful people who had nothing but had everything. He showed me that we don't have to be stagnant about the injustice in our world and that every little bit makes a difference. Every little bit. Did you know that $1 is equal to clean water for an African for an entire year? That equation used to blow my mind. So much that in high school my friends and I got together and raised awareness and money to build water wells in Africa. I barely think about it anymore. That makes me really sad. And I forgot about my journey to Westminster, how I chose to go to Catholic University instead of WCC at first, but somehow I ended up at WCC. The timing was perfect. There were people I met at CUA that changed my life and I never would've met them if I chose to go to WCC first. And there are people at WCC whom I'm sure I would've not been as close with had I not had to repeat my freshmen year.



Thoughts like these have been flooding my head lately and there are just some parts of my story where the word "coincidence" is not enough.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like I've reached the end of myself. I'm just waiting to be rescued. And I know I will be.

Some news on the homefront:



1) We got a puppy! Her name is Bella and we got her from an Amish family in Pennsylvania. My parents have given me the job of training her. This is only the second day she's been living with us and training her/taking care of her is truly one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life so far, partly because I'm allergic to dog saliva and dander (but I'm sucking it up like a real man!) and because I've never had a dog for a pet. It's a challenge. Exactly what I need. And she's adorable. I think I'm falling in love.



2) Have you heard of the musician Francesca Battistelli? Well, she's playing a show in a town near my town and I'm opening for her... AHHHHHH!!!! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?! God totally blew me away with that one. So, Francesca is pregnant and can't play a full set. Her manager contacted the woman booking the concert and asked her if there was anyone local that could open. This woman knows one of my friends from church and asked him if he knew anyone. He and his wife and the dude helping me record my EP were talking and asked me if I'd be interested... I still can't believe it! I only played two open mics this summer and I was kinda bummed that I didn't get any shows together, so when God brought along this opportunity, I was speechless. This summer has been challenging and I can honestly say that it's (or part of it) has been one of the lowest times in my life. And then God brings this along. It's ridiculous! So, we're getting a band together and we're playing 2 covers and 3 of my originals on August 22 at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. AHHHHH!!!!! I'm. so. excited.

You have a show coming up, right? If you do, good luck! It'll be wonderful :) Can't wait to hear from you!

Love,
G Love

No comments:

Post a Comment